[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Randall Anthony randall.anthony at cox.net
Sun Feb 20 07:23:53 CST 2005

Steve,

I'd concur with the advice you were given.  It definitely helps to get
the job.  Unfortunately most of the companies I've worked for did not
pay for keeping up your skillsets, the attitude being "I'm not going to
pay for your training so you can get a payraise by going to work for
someone else".  However, there seems to be a change in that attitude.
Most of the classes I've taken so far have had people that were there
via their company, because they had to learn new technology in their
job.  Especially in the ASP.Net and VS .Net classes.

Others have posted that most companies expect OJT to fill the bill.  I
don't mind that, that's how I learned VB and ASP.  But, when you are
supporting Access2.0, SQL 6.5, and ASP, it's kind of hard to learn .Net
when the company won't or can't afford to buy upgrades.

After going through most of the process of this certification, I am
going to make it a point to keep up with new tech via certs, or at the
least A+ certs, in order to avoid my present situation from happening
again.  I like being an Access developer, however, diversifying my
portfolio, so to speak, should increase my marketability and
portability.

As for courses, yes I've attended 8 out of 9 courses setup to take the
exams for MCDBA.  The cost included books, training materials and exam
vouchers, and is about $1k per class.  I took a professional loan via a
financial institution specializing in student loans like this.  Compared
to the cost of an online/accelerated MBA at around $30K, or the more
prestigious executive MBAs offered around here (William & Mary, UVA) at
about $125K, I think it's a relative bargain.

A note of caution.  The information and materials presented in the
courses are very good, however, in order to pass M$ exams, I highly
recommend using third party study guides and brain dumps as study aids.

I hope this information helps you out.

Randy.