[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Reuben Cummings reuben at gfconsultants.com
Mon Feb 21 13:57:56 CST 2005

1)  Access Development.  We develop software for sale and support it via
annual licensing contracts.  I do essentially no custom work.  We originate
the idea, the plan, and the software.  The we sell it and support it
ourselves.

2)  I am doing the same type work and using the same tools (Access 2000).

3)  I own the company.  Two employees (my partner and me) with a couple
contractors if needed.

4)  No certifications.  I have never believed in them.  Just like in
college - if an interviewer looked at my transcript first, I wasn't really
too interested in working for them.  I never will believe grades or
certifcations show a person's ability to perform any duty.  That's not to
say they are bad.  I just feel that some people put way too much weight in a
certification that in reality only shows that someone can memorize a lot of
stuff.

For example,  I currently hold electrician's licenses in three counties here
in Indiana.  The test was based on the code book rather than my actual
ability to wire a facility.  I worked with some guys that also had passed
the same test I did and got their electrical licenses that I wouldn't hire
to plug in a new lamp.

Reuben Cummings
GFC, LLC
phone: 812.523.1017