[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Mark A Matte markamatte at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 15:38:46 CST 2005

Steve,

Here's my long version.

When I got out of the military in 1999...I ended up in a 'not so good'
situation...pretty much homeless and unemployed in an area where I knew no
one...and as I found out, didn't really have a marketable skill.  I went to
a temp service, sold blood and plasma, cleaned bathrooms, fished (because it
was free food if I caught something), and about anything else for cash.  The
first day of my ordeal I actually cleaned a compost heap..to get gas
money..to go sell blood.  It was not a pretty time in my life.

>From these odd jobs I saved enough money to KOA campground across the
states(back near family and could get work).  A few days before I left...the
temp service called and asked if I would do one more job...they needed an
'Access Programmer'...I explained I was not a programmer...I just knew a
little about access...they explained my resume 'implied' I was...I said
no...they said they would pay me 17.50 to try for 3 days(12.50 more than
everything else I was doing)...I apologized for the misunderstanding...OF
COURSE I'm a programmer...I'll be right over.

I figured I could wing it for 3 days...double the cash in my pocket...and be
on my way.  As it turns out...the 3 days were to 'test' to see if I could do
the job( which I almost could).  I used all of my money on calling
cards...and got techie friends from New York, New Orleans, and Chicago to
help walk me through the test project.  At this point...my game plan was to
pull this off for a few weeks( or as long as I could get away with it).

As it turns out...databases just make sense to me...and Access was alot more
powerful than what I realized and that its main limitation was the
imagination of the user/programmer.  Within 6 months I was rolling out
automated reporting packages to every mill in their corporation.  I used
Access to tie all of their Informix DBs together and gave them analysis they
never thought possible.

After 1 year...they decided no more independant contractors...I put the
resume out...and spent the next 12 months 'consulting' (as they called it)
for some very large companies.

I now have a 'permanent' job...but still do some Access work on the side.  I
use Access on a daily basis in my current job...because no matter what
platform/DB they use...I still find Access to be the most useful tool to
pull the data in for some local analysis.

My computer is riddled with little Access Apps that I've created to make my
own life easier...for example...I have a Task Manager that I send a
replicated copy to my manager in another state for our 1on 1's...I got
switched to Hourly...so I have a TimeClock db running in the background so I
know when to leave...there are some reports that I need to generate every
week...so...I have a db that I launch once a week that
imports/cleans/formats/exports(word and excel) all in one motion.

Right now (in my current position) I am considered an Access
Guru/Expert(apparently they don't know the people on this list), the Subject
Matter Expert on about 4 different apps (ranging from PS and Powerbuilder to
Informix and DB2)...and if there is an old app they have lost documentation
on...I get sent the data model and the code behind the front end and asked
to fill in the holes.

To make a long story short...I have NO degrees or certifications...self
taught at everything I do...well respected by my cooleages and well
paid..and If I have to look back and figure out what brought all of the
pieces together in my life (which some say is successful)..that is very easy
for me...its 2 part...they day I dove head first into MS Access...and the
day I joined this list.  Without either of those 2 events I would probably
still be selling blood to get groceries.

In the military I was taught 'to adapt and overcome'...Access, in my
opinion, is the perfect match for this phrase.

Again, thanks to everyone on this list...because without it...I wouldn't be.

Thanks,

Mark A. Matte
Customer Care Network
Sears, Roebuck and Co.