[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Demulling Family demulling at centurytel.net
Mon Feb 21 22:32:17 CST 2005

Jim Lawrence wrote:

>Steve:
>
>It works for me. Please, fell free to abridge all you want.
>
>Jim

Ok,

My dive into access came when I was in the Peace Corps right out of
collage.  I did a lot of volunteer work in school, more than I studied,
and really liked it.  Besides I did not want to put on a suit and tie
and do the 9 to 5 thing (I have an accounting degree and almost everyone
else went to work for an accounting firm, not me I went to work for good
old uncle sam).  A quick aside if anyone is thinking or knows someone
who is thinking about the Peace Corps tell them to do it, best thing you
can do.  You get to help people.  My helping was working with local
savings and loan cooperative in Honduras, Central America.  The first 3
months after 3 months of training (learning Spanish, local customs,
etc.) I spent just observing the work in the cooperative I was assigned
to.  They did everything by hand, posting and calculating interest by
hand.  It was so bad that they only calculated it when a member came
in.  They did however have a computer and a complete accounting program
from a USAID program.  To give you an idea of how bad things where I
sent I picture to my parents and mom saw the computer in the background
and asked why the thing was taken apart.  After observing for the 3
months I put together a plan and presented it to the Board of Directors
for the cooperative.  I convinced them to spend the cooperatives money
to buy a whole LAN (server and 6 pc plus 3 printers.)  It was more money
than they paid in 6 months of salaries.  However the savings realized
after fulling implementing the system was made up by the reduced
overtime (people no longer worked 60 hours a week but 40) because I was
able to setup little access dbs and other applications to save time.  I
had no experience with Access before this, but knew that a database was
needed to make the work manageable.  To top it all off, one of my
recomendations was to purchase all of the software in Spanish, so the
locals could actually use it, so I learned my first VBA programming in
Spanish.  I still have hard copies of the code.  After the Peace Corps I
stayed in Honduras because I had met my wife and we were married.  I
operated my own consulting business for 6 months before we decided to
move back to the States.  During this time I would work about 1 week a
month so we could enjoy the rest of the month.  I would build custom
apps for the cooperatives in Honduras, make recommendations on how to
improve their networks if they had one, etc.  After we came back (wife
was pregenat with our daughter), I spent 3 months looking for a job
while we lived at my parents.  My daughter was born during the time of
hurricane Mitch and my wife because of problems with the delivery would
have died in Honduras.  Things happen for a reason and three months
before I was finally hired by my current employer because of my work
that I had done it the Peace Corps and especially using Access.  I have
continued to develop my Access skills, this list is my number one
resource, as well as starting to work with SQL Server.  But it all
started because I used Access in Spanish to help improve someone else's
life, but in the end I think I am the one who comes out ahead.

Jeffrey Demulling