[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 12:15:03 CST 2005

No problem with using my answers but I'd better give you the longer
versions. Now, what were the questions?

Do solely Access development. Like many on this list I started in something
called Computing which metamorphosed into IT. Bit reminiscent of Rocky's
story, ie started on IBM 360's, 370's but in my case in Cobol, then IBM
Assembler. Worked for  big drug company for about 4 years, then a biggish
software house for a few more. A bit over 20 years ago, about the time IBM
PC's were arriving in UK, myself and a friend/colleague set up our own biz
but we did the opposite of Rocky. We started with products but they never
took off and we evolved into development when people looked at the products
(a library of pre-written macro-driven Lotus 123 spreadsheets) and asked us
to write stuff for them. From there to dBase, Clipper then Access. Left
partnership and went solo over 4 years ago. This list has been my guide and
mentor ever since (thank you everyone).

Still doing much what I was doing x years ago. Not even later versions as my
main customer is still A97.

Very much an indie, as shown above. It has its problems (security, where's
the next customer/pay day coming from?) but I still prefer it. I've been
lucky (touch wood) in having a main customer who keeps me well occupied, for
which I'm eternally thankful cos I loathe the the selling bit - ringing
people cold who've never heard of you and trying not to sound like the awful
salespeople who ring me.

And no, no certs. Have a degree but nothing since. When I was employing I
didn't give them much credence either. Preferred to look at experience and
then set some of our own tests. Amazing how often people with seemingly good
qualifications couldn't do pretty basic stuff in practice.

HTH

-- Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk