[AccessD] Query tuning in Access?

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Feb 24 07:37:43 CST 2005

Correct on the first one.

For what concerns report.
In my opinion, for reports, you try to use a SQL string (unless you need
cascaded queries) thats sit on the rowsource.
Otherwise you gonna get a lot of queries (1 per report), unless you
reuse a query for multiple reports.
If you do that you gonna put more fields in one query to cover all
reports which will slow down the query.
Also I find for myself, the danger is bigger that you sort the query on
a field that can be contraproductive if the sorting in the report is
otherwise, same thing for filtering.

Probably there are other reasons to, but from what I read in books and
websites this is the commonly advised method. Anyway there is/was a big
reason why I started to do that I believe in this case:

At a moment (a couple of years ago) I started to have user editable
reportfilters from a form.
I found it practicle to open the filterform when opening the report in
the open_report event.
I found this better then first opening the form and then the report.
Don't know why exactly, but while developing I found it more practicle
to open the report and the formfilter.
I believe I noticed after a while that when the report uses a saves
query the report executed the query twice.
Once to know what fiels are in the query and twice to apply my criteria
I just had set when cosling the filter form.
I'm not sure anymore, and maybe this is A97 thing that already long
solved in later version...

I regulary notice procedures that I use to do are stricly no longer
needed because new access functionality (or debugging) has solved this.

Anyway personal basic rule is:
Filter as soon as posible, sort as late as posible and only once.
Ofcourse this is not always posible, espcialy in case of using group and
cross queries

Erwin