[AccessD] Re: [dba-Tech] Overview of Sharepoint Server

Jim DeMarco Jdemarco at hudsonhealthplan.org
Mon Feb 28 10:56:28 CST 2005

Hello All,

First, if you sign up for the free trial make sure you get a password soon after signing up.  I had to contact them for one (which I couldn't do as there was no contact info to be found on the site) and lost over a week of my trial even though I asked for an extension.  I got a marketing call or e-mail (can't remember which) so I took the opportunity to tell the rep to get me set up and quick!

Next, Sharepoint Services out of the box is a pretty cool tool.  You can't ask for more than a place to collaborate and share contacts, docs, links, etc that requires no programming and easy admin.  We just started using it within our dept. as an eval before making it available to various workgroups/departments.  If you use Office 2003 it's even better with integration to open/edit documents in the doc library, the ability to see who's on-line.  Plenty of smart tag activity too that lets you send a site member e-mail, get notifications if items are added or changed in various section (user definable too!).

So far I'm loving it!

The Portal Server adds the ability to customize or add your own version of some of the main sections plus I think it has advanced user management.

HTH,

Jim DeMarco