[AccessD] IBM Cloudscape, Apache Derby

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jan 10 02:46:07 CST 2005

Thanks Jim

Well, my thoughts were about an engine you can distribute for free and
is so small and easy to install that it can even run on the user's
desktop.

I haven't looked at Ants for a while but - at a cost - it would be for
other targets.
Caché I have played around with for a while but not the latest version.
It is truly amazing but, again, at a cost.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 10-01-2005 01:43:28 >>>
Hi Gustav:

If you are looking for a great free database piece of software, I have
not
found one but at a very reasonable price. The ants DB SQL engine is
extremely fast, when running uses a very small footprint (39MB) on
WinOS,
runs on a variety of OSs, does take 512MB of RAM, which is normal, has
all
the features you would expect of a professional level SQL DB and is
thirty
to fifty percent less than MS SQL ( http://www.ants.com/ )

Mind you if money was no object, try Caché, a post-relational object
oriented DB. See the white paper:
http://www.intersystems.co.za/cache/technology/whitepapers/emergence-prdbms.
html  (watch for wrap) It is a very awesome package... you can even
download
a free personal copy for playing with.

Jim