[AccessD] A2003:Calculating Percentages - and their currency values

Bob Gajewski rbgajewski at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 15 13:48:00 CST 2005

Darren:

To find out any included percentage, simply divide by 1 plus the percentage
in decimal form.

If the tax rate (TR) was 12.5% and the tax included value (TIV) was $146.24,
divide by 1.125 to give you an original net price (ONP) of $129.99. You
obviously will have to dealing with rounding factors, but you will always be
within 1/2 of 1 cent ($0.005) with this formula.

ONP = TIV / ( 1 + TR)
ONP = $146.24 / ( 1 + .125 )
ONP = $146.24 / 1.125
ONP = $129.99

To determine just the amount of the tax (TA), divide by one plus the
percentage in decimal form and then multiply the result by just the
percentage in decimal form.

TA = (TIV / ( 1 + TR)) * TR
TA = ($146.24 / ( 1 + .125 )) * .125
TA = ($146.24 / 1.125) * .125
TA = ($129.991111) * .125
TA = $16.248889 or $16.25

or

TA = ONP * TR
TA = $129.99 * .125
TA = $16.24875 or $16.25

The first example is more accurate because you do not lose any precision to
rounding until the final step.

HTH

Bob Gajewski