[AccessD] Calling ADO without having to roll out five hundred new mdbs

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 17 20:30:58 CST 2005

Hi Mark:

ADO is dependant on the MDAC files stored in the 'Program Files\Common
Files\System\ado' directory. Every Windows OS from 98 has it setup that way.
The alternative is to add an appropriate ODBC connection to every PC.... I
have been that route and believe me using ADO is a piece of cake in
comparison. At one point I had over 65 computers connected using a variety
of OS versions, all over the country, many with different connection
standards and most of offices I have never been to.

The only time you could run into issues is if you are getting too fancy with
your ADO calls... not all versions of ADO support streaming or data shaping.
If you did you could simply broadcast out the latest version and have it
placed in the above mentioned directory.

HTH
Jim