[AccessD] Save dll to folder

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Jan 22 03:41:47 CST 2005

Hi Reuben

It does not have to but it is convenient as Windows knows where to look
for it if you don't specify the full path, and other apps can share it
easily.
On the other hand, the user may not have the rights to add files to the
system folder.

One place to put the dll is in your own application folder. Probably no
other app will request your dll, thus it should be safe.

If I recall correctly, Charlotte has experiences with this type of
installation.

/gustav

>>> reuben at gfconsultants.com 21-01-2005 22:31:30 >>>
I am into a situation where I need to save a dll to computers that are
already installed.

Does a dll HAVE to be in the system32 directory?  If so, how do you
account
for possible different folder names for this location?  What I want to
do is
send the dll to the client as part of an upgrade.  Upon needing the
dll, the
app could check for its existence and copy it to the proper location.
However, if the folder is not system32, how do I be sure to get the
right
fodler name?

If not, how can I point the app to look for the dll elsewhere?
Ideally, I
would simply set the dll in a folder with the app.

Thanks.

Reuben Cummings
GFC, LLC
phone: 812.523.1017