[AccessD] OT (Slightly) Using Windows Server with Access Database

William Hindman dejpolsys at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 23:30:34 CST 2005

Tom

..very briefly

..Windows Server 2003 is a different product than Windows Terminal Server
which I assume is what you meant by your use of "Windows Server".

..Windows Server 2003 (WS3) is a network OS designed to centrally manage a
local area network of normal PCs ...Windows Terminal Server (WTS) is a
program designed to run applications on a central server such as WS3 and
communicate queries/results to/from "dumb" terminals or normal PCs.

..in a normal gigabit network w/15 users like you describe the response
delays and network traffic load generated by any reasonably well designed
Access FE/BE application is going to be an absolutely minimal consideration
..the server hardware is more likely to be a source of delays than the
network

..WTS would provide very hard centralized management and control of user
systems but requires a much faster cpu and hd than WS3 itself does ...DBA's
tend to love it because it gives them back the control that they lost when
mainframes became obsolete in most companies ...users tend to hate it once
used to working in a normal PC environment ...accountants tend to like it
(on everyone else's systems but their own) because it can mean lower
hardware costs depending upon a lot of factors.

..other than that, WTS operational advantages over a normal split FE/BE
Access mdb in your environment would be minimal in my opinion ...WTS will
not fix your file locking problems ...you can upgrade to AccessXP or higher
where single file locking is available or move to a SQL Server BE ...but
ime, most file locking problems are design related rather than system
..even in A97 a well designed mdb would have minimal file locks ...there
are a number of ways to address such problems and a search of this list's
archives would almost certainly detail the pros/cons of each.

..hth :)

William Hindman