[AccessD] OT - Internet Access

Eric Barro ebarro at afsweb.com
Mon Jan 31 12:47:21 CST 2005

Susan,

Trust me it won't be even an improvement over your dial-up. Factor in the cost of the equipment and the aggravation and it's not worth it. Maybe if you're just going to use it to check email or limited browsing over the web...but for anything else I definitely would stay far away as possible from satellite internet access at this point in time.

My boss lives in the mountains and the only access he could get was satellite access. I set up his home network and he complained of slow speeds for satellite access. The slowness can be attributed to the fact that the packets are routed via a software-based proxy server that needs to be installed on to the host computer. As I've mentioned before you can't hook up a router directly to the satellite modem because the software part (which drives the modem and the proxy server) can't be installed on the router. The satellite modem acts as a modem/router/proxy for all web requests. To get my boss' home network to work with his satellite access I had to put 2 network cards on the host machine which is designated as the "server" so that all the rest of the internal TCPIP network packets can communicate back with the satellite modem. All the browsers had to point to the proxy server (installed by the software driver for the modem) in order to get out to the web.

One other caveat for satellite access is that it will not work with a site that prompts for the username and password using Windows authentication. Because of the latency it can't handle the challenge/response sequence from IIS/Windows authentication.

Eric