[AccessD] Conversion to Express

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 26 13:43:41 CDT 2005

Not too much on actual conversion but maybe something here in these MS
and MSDN blogs
although lots on actual connection of the Access and Express.
 A lot of these sites do not appear to be open to Google or other search
engines.

FAQ: How to connect to SQL Express from "downlevel clients"(Access 2003,
VS 2003, VB 6, etc
 http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2004/07/23/192044.aspx

You will find this EM tool helpful for conversion of Access (released
last month).

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Manager - Community Technology Preview
June 2005
(New replacement for SQL Enterprise Manager)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C7A5CC62-EC54-4299-85FC-BA05C181ED55&displaylang=en

Visual Studio Express Editions  MSDN forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=24

Securing Your SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Server
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsse/html/ssesecurity.asp

Connecting Access and SQL Express 2005
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/

SMO Replaces SQL-DMO
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/40993/40993.html?Ad=1

Silly Billy's have turned of search function for upgrades to this newsgroup

microsoft.private.sqlserver2005.express
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=sqlserver2005&slcid=us

One interesting post on this newsgroup
Just in passing concerning future design
about ADP's from Access 2003 on down that will not play fair with SQL
Server 2005 Express (replacement for MSDE).

Re: Access 2002 and SQL Express
From:  "Mary Chipman [MSFT]" <mchip at online.microsoft.com> Sent:
8/20/2004 11:30:58 AM

You will not be able to use any of the designers with SQLS 2005
databases, whether it's SQL Express or the Developer edition. IOW, you
won't be able to create databases, tables, views or any other database
objects from an ADP. The only support that is envisioned is that you
will be able to connect an Access front-end to a SQLS 2005 back end if
it is running in SQLS 2000 compatibility mode, so your forms, reports
and other local Access objects should still run. There is no service
pack or quick fix being planned as far as I know because of the amount
of work it would entail. If you stop to think about it, it's pretty
hard to see how accomodating new Yukon features like CLR assemblies
and complex data types in the ADP designers could be achieved without
a complete rewrite.

--Mary Chipman

The problem has been know about for some time. SQL Server 2005 is a
major rewrite and at the time they began development they decided they
would not provide access to its features from Access and ADPs mainly
becasue they view Access as a power user application - STILL. Lot of
.NET stuff built into SQLS erver 2005 and they figured it wasnt worth
the cost or effort to rewrite the ADP functionality in Access to deal
with this.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.