[AccessD] SQL "Like" question.

Bobby Heid bheid at appdevgrp.com
Fri Jun 24 08:29:40 CDT 2005

Hey,

I have a search screen for an app that has several combo boxes that when the
user clicks the Find button, it builds a SQL query based upon the criteria
that the users have selected.  The user can also use wild cards in the combo
boxes such as 'Carlton*'.  Since they can use wild cards, I use LIKE when
building the SQL statement.

I got an email from a user today asking why a given project search was
returning no records.  I looked at the data and this is what they were
searching for: 'Carlton [D]'.  I suspected the data so I removed the
brackets from around the 'D' and the query worked fine.

My question is, is the bracket a special character?  Are there other
characters that I need to watch out for?  I know about the wild card
characters '*', '?', and the '#' character.

Thanks,
Bobby