[AccessD] Invitations DB Design Ideas

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Jun 4 10:20:58 CDT 2005

Joe,
My Mom died January 29, 2005.  She despised funerals, so my Dad planned
a special celebration of life for her.  Not wanting to put our family
members and friends at additional risk of travel accident (it being the
middle of winter here in northern Michigan, he chose April 27 (their
wedding anniversary) as the date for the celebration.  We had time to
plan properly, thank those who had already contacted us, organize the
invitation list, and handle the designation for memorial contributions.
 I put the little database together.  As Dad thought of people that
should be notified or invited, the list grew from an anticipated 50 or
so to over 400 - I needed my database!

For my mother's memorial celebration mailing list I used two tables:
 tblHouseholds and tblIndividuals.  That allowed me to put as many
people in a household (or office, as the case often was) as I might
need.  That was useful in running my "how many people might come"
reports.  When I got a reply, I updated my HowMany field with the actual
number given, to help with my "how many people are really coming"
reports.  There was a special science education fund in our Three Lakes
Association, begun by my family, and to which and memorial contributions
were given (some came to us, others were sent directly to TLA, so I
needed some way to keep track).

tbl Households
HH_ID
HH_Name  (to alphabetize my list)
HH_MailingName  (first line of the mailing label)
HH_Str_Address  (street address)
HH_POB_Address  (po box address)
HH_City
HH_State  (for US and Canada addresses)
HH_Zip  (for US addresses)
HH_PostCode  (for non-US addresses)
HH_Country
HH_Tel
HH_email
HH_Invite (ysn to invite this HH)
HH_Thank (ysn to thank this HH for previous communication)
HH_TLA  (ysn did this HH make a memorial contribution to TLA?)
HH_Coming  (ysn anyone in this HH coming?)
HH_HowMany (after reply to our invitation)
HH_Comments (can't get away from needing this in family celebration
planning)

tblIndividuals
Ind_ID
HH_ID
IndLastName
IndFirstName

My father was completely amazed to have a mailing list of
1) those to receive only a notification
2) those to receive notification and invitation to the ceremony
3) those to receive notification, invitation, and thanks for earlier
communication

He was further amazed to have up-to-date reports showing who had
responded, who was coming (and how many), and who was not.  Many who
were unable to come wanted Dad to know why, so that information was
recorded in the Comments field.

I hope this is helpful to you,
Tina