[AccessD] Excel Macro Automation from within Access

Mark Boyd MarkBoyd at McBeeAssociates.com
Mon Jun 6 11:31:04 CDT 2005

Thanks Jim.  This is perfect!

Mark Boyd
I/S Supervisor
McBee Associates, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Hale, Jim
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 10:10 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Excel Macro Automation from within Access

I think the sequence you are looking for is similar to this:

Sub rpt_to_excel()
Dim appExcel As Excel.Application, strpathname As String Dim strpathnew
As String, strReport As String

strpathname = "C:\test.xls"
strpathnew = "C:\test2.xls"
strReport = "rptInvsummary"
DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, strReport, acFormatXLS, strpathname

 Set appExcel = New Excel.Application

 'format your report
    With appExcel
        .Workbooks.Open strpathname, 0
        .Visible = True 'just to watch the sheet
        .Range("A1:G1").Select
        .Selection.Font.Bold = True
        .Selection.Font.Name = "Arial"
        .Selection.Font.Size = 12
        .ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=strpathnew,
FileFormat:=xlNormal
    End With
     appExcel.Quit
    Set appExcel = Nothing
End Sub

This opens the file you output and saves it as a current version
workbook under a new name.

As you debug be aware of leaving orphan instances of Excel in memory.
You can tell if any exist by placing the following script in notepad and
running
it:

Dim objXL
	Dim strMessage

	On Error Resume Next

	'	Try to grab a running instance of
	'	Excel...
	Set objXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")

	'	What did we find?..
	If Not TypeName(objXL) = "Empty" Then
		strMessage = "Excel Running."
	Else
		strMessage = "Excel Not Running."
	End If

	'	Feedback to user...
	MsgBox strMessage, vbInformation, "Excel Status"

	'	Make the Excel instance visible
	'	if we found one
	if strMessage = "Excel Running." then _
				objXL.Visible = true