[AccessD] Friday humour

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 10 19:15:13 CDT 2005

Argggh.
Noone knows any history.
1. Copernicus died  in 1543 a week after his book "Six Books on the
Revolutions of the Celestial Orbits"  otherwise known as "De Revolutionibis"
was finally published.
 In 1533 Albert Widmanstadt lectured before Pope Clement VII on the
Copernican solar system. His reward consisted of a Greek codex which is
preserved in the State library of Munich. Three years later Copernicus
was urged by Cardinal Schonberg, then Archbishop of Capua, in a letter,
dated at Rome, 1 November, 1536, to publish his discovery, or at least
to have a copy made at the cardinal's expense. He was also asked to
reform the Calendar by Pope Leo X.
 Finally Copernicus, at sixty-eight , yielded, as he writes to Paul III,
to the entreaties of Cardinal Schonberg, of Bishop Giese of Culm, and of
other learned men to surrender his manuscripts for publication. Bishop
Giese charged Rheticus, as the ablest disciple of the great master, with
the task of editing the work.
It was finally edited by Osiander who took out any possible
objectionable theological bits, and added a preface stating it was an
hypothesis. This was done not so much to appease the Catholic church but
knowing the attitude of Luther and Melanchthon against the heliocentric
system, who were running around Germany at the time.Copernicus was an
invalid and living in Frauenburg Germany at the time.

There were 6 popes inbetween Copernicus' book and the Galileo
inquisition and none objected to the heliocentric theory.

On the Catholic side opposition only commenced seventy-three years
later, when it was started up by Galileo. On 5 March, 1616, the work of
Copernicus was forbidden by the Congregation of the Index "until
corrected", and in 1620 these corrections were indicated. Nine
sentences, by which the heliocentric system was represented as certain,
had to be either omitted or changed.

In 1820 Canon Settele, a Roman astronomy professor who was a priest
tried to publish a book in which the Copernican system was treated as
fact. At first, the censor of the press, a guy named Anfossi, wouldn't
allow the book to be published unless Settele revised it so that it
treated the Copernican system as merely a theory. But Settele appealed
to Pope Pius VII, who referred the matter to the Congregation of the
Holy Office. On August 16, 1820, it was decided that Settele could, in
fact, treat the Copernican system as established fact, and that decision
was approved by Pius VII.

Pope John Paul II referred to this incident in 1992 when he said that as
far as the Church was concerned, the heliocentric debate "was closed in
1820 with the imprimatur given to the work of Canon Settele."  This was
an address to Pontifical Academy of  the Sciences.

I could add corrections on Galileo and all the politics involved which
was a genuine fubar but here is Cardinal Bellarmine's response.

"I say that if a real proof be found that the sun is fixed and does not
revolve round the earth, but the earth round the sun, then it will be
necessary, very carefully, to proceed to the explanation of the passages
of Scripture which appear to be contrary, and we should rather say that
we have misunderstood these than pronounce that to be false which is
demonstrated."

I put  Robert Sungenis in the Art Bell camp.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.