[AccessD] Australia - find nearest location

Bruen, Bruce Bruce.Bruen at railcorp.nsw.gov.au
Wed Jun 15 20:58:43 CDT 2005

"Basically what I need to know is whether proximity in number =
proximity in distance - I am guessing that it won't always be the
case..."

You have guessed correctly.  It wont work, a) the original postcodes
were allocated as a loose function of distance from the mail clearance
centre - (way back in the 60's??)
b)since then new codes have been allocated and old ones modified and
reallocated under a series of illogic that thoroughly eliminates any
possibility of determining relative geographic co-ordinates across
Australia.  However, there is a correlation between a postcode and a
thing, IIRC, a mail delivery point (which in some cases goes down to a
building or even a location within a building.) APO has occassionally
published this database but I haven't seen or had any use for it for
over 4 years - so I've lost the access to it.

Sensis, yahoo/local and even the website that lists your company have
functionality that provides this type of lookup but I'm d*mned if I know
how they do it.

regards
bruce