[AccessD] Field Naming ( Just once I want to be ahead of JC )

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jun 22 13:53:36 CDT 2005

1) Try doing a find on a field name used all over the damned database and
then come back and tell me how much you hate it.
2) Relationship finding wizards are for wusses who don't create explicit
relationships (should be shot BTW).
3) <there is no need to prefix the column names since you can do so
unambiguously using the table name as a prefix (i.e. Customers.CustomerID =
Orders.CustomerID).

Yes, e3xcept that there are a TON of places where this doesn't work such as
the field that a control is bound to.  Try searching for Orders.CustomerID
and you won't find all the places where just CustomerID is used.

>The prefixes hide the relationships while admittedly revealing the table
sources... but if we are really going to go in this direction, I would
rather use suffixes (i.e. CustomerID_Customers, CustomerID_Orders,
CustomerID_Payments etc.) -- so they are logically grouped together
according to domain type rather than table name.

I know you are into suffixes, but this isn't something that you are going to
see in a tab window or something so it is not going to help there.

Here's you change back.  ;-)

http://folding.stanford.edu/

I hate such naming conventions, for three reasons:
a) they defeat the natural logic of the various relationship-finding
wizards;
b) there is no need to prefix the column names since you can do so
unambiguously using the table name as a prefix (i.e. Customers.CustomerID =
Orders.CustomerID).
c) the prefixes hide the relationships while admittedly revealing the table
sources... but if we are really going to go in this direction, I would
rather use suffixes (i.e. CustomerID_Customers, CustomerID_Orders,
CustomerID_Payments etc.) -- so they are logically grouped together
according to domain type rather than table name.

Arthur