[AccessD] Detect specific printer

Mark Boyd MarkBoyd at McBeeAssociates.com
Wed Jun 22 14:37:13 CDT 2005

Thanks Marty.  I was able to create a work-around.
I use some of Ken Ketz's 'defaultprt.zip' code to change the default
printer to the PDF Writer.  Then, I use Access' Printer object to see if
the default printer was changed.  If the user doesn't have the PDF
Writer installed, the default printer will stay the same.
This way, I can throw a message to the screen prompting the user to
install the appropriate software.

Thanks again,
Mark Boyd
I/S Supervisor
McBee Associates, Inc.
610/964-9680 x15

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of MartyConnelly
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 3:21 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Detect specific printer

This code example should get you started have a look at this, Access
2002 + uses Printer object Below Access 2002 you need to use API calls
to PrintDev routines

http://allenbrowne.com/AppPrintMgt.html
Printer Selection Utility Allen Browne
If you look down the page there are links to Albert Kallal's  site for
Access 97 and 2000 printer selection methods

Mark Boyd wrote:

>Is there a way thru VBA to detect if a specific printer has been
>installed?
>I need to check if the PDF Writer is on the user's machine.  If not,
>they'll be prompted to install it.
>
>Thanks,
>Mark Boyd
>I/S Supervisor
>McBee Associates, Inc.

>This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from
your system.

Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.