[AccessD] Re: Normalizing issue

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Thu Jun 23 12:33:24 CDT 2005

In a normalized world, they are two parties with individual names that are
related to each other by a specific type of relationship.  Translated to db
design:

tblParty
PartyID
First_Name
Middle_Name
Last_Name
Name_Suffix

tblPartyAlias
PartyAliasID
PartyID
GoesByName

tblPartyRelationship
PartyRelationshipID
PartyID
RelatedPartyID
RelationshipType
RelationshipGreeting

In the case you listed below, the field RelationshipGreeting would hold the
combination of their names the way they wanted them.  You could have it
default to "Joe and Sue Smith" after setting a relationship type of
spouse.  The edit it as needed for the special cases.  This model also
incorporates an alias table to hold the solution to what Susan needs for
her pen names.  All she would need to do is add a table to relate the pen
names to the publisher for the articles being published.

Arguments aside, if you think the design through, you will not need to
argue. :-)

Robert