[AccessD] Normalizing issue

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sun Jun 26 11:13:33 CDT 2005

You ask a couple of smart questions here. I should point out however that
some articles at least do go "out of print". For example, my SQL Tips at
builder.com go virtually "out of print" rather quickly (i.e. the URL you
receive that points to them goes obsolete in a week or three). However, they
are changing that so stuff will be retrievable for a long time.

Next, you have the issue of multiple authors on a single book or article.
You may have to distinguish the principal author from the others. Finally,
let's take a case from my own sordid past in which I worked as part of a
team on a book about an O-O language. I wrote three of the approximately 20
chapters, and had no part in the writing of anything else in the book.
Should those 3 instances be regarded as "articles"? In a way they are closer
to articles than to authorship of the entire book.

Finally, the problem with using a pair of tables (Books and Mags) is that
before you're done, a third medium will emerge (DVDs, say), and that will
mean that you need to add a table at minimum. In light of this, my
preference would be to create a table PublicationTypes, containing these
three entries to start, and then have a single table containing the facts
about the publications, and finally an Authors table containing the names of
the authors of the various publications, perhaps also with a flag denoting
"Principal author". This would enable "SQL: Access to SQL Server" to have
either two principal authors or none, in addition to any number of ancillary
authors.

That's how I would model it, anyway.

HTH,
Arthur