[AccessD] Changing table values via code

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed Jun 29 10:00:52 CDT 2005

Just a thought John, but I would recommend that you don't actually change a
value in a record to do this.  Instead, make it a transaction table.  For
example:

tblVacationHours
VHTransactionID (AutoNumber)
EmployeeID (foriegn key)
NumberOfHours (Long, or Currency if there could be hour 'portions')
TransactionTimeStamp (Date/Time)

Now, you could add a third field that would determine the type of
transaction, ie, a credit or a debit, or you could simply use positive or
negative values for the NumberOfHours fields.  Either way, to determine the
employees total current number of vacation hours, simply sum NumberOfHours
for their Employee ID.  I would strongly recommend this method, because if
you simply allow someone to change a value, there is no record of what was
changed.  So if a payroll clerk goofs and removes an extra day or two, there
is no record to see what it was before, and when it was changed.  With a
transaction log (which is summed for the totals), you can see what was
entered, and when, so when someone took a Monday off, and the transaction
shows 80 hours, instead of 8, you can simply fix that transaction, or add
new transactions to compensate.

Drew