[AccessD] Problem with hyperlinks from a table or form

Mike Webb Mike_Webb at whoopingcrane.org
Wed Mar 30 15:31:20 CST 2005

Posted this to NG microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted, but no reply.  Then I tried a non-profit techie website, but wasn't able to find a solution.  A responder suggested this group.  Am hoping a reader of this list can help:
======================
Using Access XP on WinXP box on a SBS 2003 LAN.  Experience level: Novice

I've scanned a bit over 4000 docs into PDF format, accessible in Access via search forms and reports.  Started with them in my Shared Docs folder when we had just a P2P network.  Now that we have the server, I'd like to move the docs to a common folder there.  Just tried it with one doc, edited the hyperlink to reflect the network path, but all it would do is "blink" for a split second.  Tried mapping the location, same result.  The location on the server is \\[servername]\Users\Company   with Company being the common folder
accessible to all users on the network.   I then  tried copying one of the PDF's to the server and was able to get it to open from Access.  So, thinking I had this solved, I copied the folder with all 4000+ files in it to the server.  Now I'm back to the "blink" described above when I click on the hyperlink.  I've tried sharing the folder, broadening the permissions for share and security, nothing works.  Now I can create a shortcut on my desktop and the file opens just fine. I can also navigate to the file within Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and this too works fine.  So I think it's an Access thing, but I'm in over my head, ability-wise.

I have not split the DB yet.  The file is on my computer.  I also happen to be the domain and local computer admin.

I'm kinda stumped on what I did wrong or what I'm missing.  Any ideas?

Michael J. Webb
Administrative Assistant/IT Administrator
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
6611 W. Whooping Crane Dr.
Wood River, NE 68883
Office (308) 384-4633 FAX (308) 384-7209
email Mike_Webb at WhoopingCrane.org www.whoopingcrane.org