[AccessD] May need an Unbound form

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 31 00:25:33 CST 2005

OK Guys,

WinXP, OfficeXP, all service packs applied for Windows as well as office.

I have a situation where a group of 2 to 6 or so people open a form of
people info, with contact subform, making phone calls all night.  These
people call therapists trying to fill employment contracts.  They may make
changes to the person info (address changes etc. but mostly they just enter
new contact records which consist of a simple date and employee (prefilled),
call status (left message, not interested etc,) and a memo field.  All night
long just mostly entering records in this contact subform.

The problem is that they are having HUGE locking issues.  I got rid of all
indexes, but they were still getting locks.  An employee will start an edit
(select a status, then fill in the memo etc.) but they may hold the record
in the edit state for a minute or two.  If any other employee tries to start
a new edit they get a lock, WITHOUT the lock symbol in the record selector.
It is reproducible, it always happens and it SUCKS.  These people are not
editing each others records, they are always building NEW records, but they
are getting these locks and it just killed their productivity.

I made a change such that as soon as they enter any data (after update of
any control), the record is saved.  That causes the new records to save
immediately as well as the edits during the course of business to save ASAP.
This helps but they are still seeing the locks occasionally, however now
they are seeing the lock symbol in the record selector.

I checked all the usual suspects, SPs, edit modes, compact / repair etc.  I
am just not finding the problem.  As far as I know this shouldn't be
happening, but it is.  Has anyone seen this behavior?  Solutions?

This leads me to consider (for the first time in my career) using an unbound
form for collecting the new data record so that the save just does a single
write of the entire record, one time, as the contact record is finished and
ready to store.  Needless to say this is not my forte and I the form is not
allowing new data to be entered.  The form itself is unbound, all the
controls are unbound, the modes are:

AllowEdits False
AllowDeletes False
AllowAdds False
EditMode True

This should allow all the controls to accept data but no control can accept
data.

I tried AllowEdits true and Editmode false, no help.  The form is not
locked, the controls are not locked. The form was opened originally from a
form which was passing in a filter if that means anything.  I was going to
grab the existing record data and then unbind the form but I am now just
looking at a plain Jane new data entry form.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

http://folding.stanford.edu/