[AccessD] Learned something new

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Mar 8 03:18:56 CST 2005

Hi John

Thank you for bringing this.
It's a good reminder that sometimes a temp table _is_ the choice and
not just a quick work-around.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 07-03-2005 19:34:47 >>>
Well, I learned something new today.  I have designed a data import
system
that pulls data from csv files into a raw data table.  This data has a
pair
of IDs, a state ID and a Discipline ID which are FKs for a pair of
tables.
My live data table has these same fields.

One of the objectives of this system is to compare personal data coming
from
state licensing boards to the personal data in our system.  In order to
do
this I need to "narrow down" the live data and somehow pull a set of
data
from the "live data table" (our data) that corresponds one to one the
"Raw
data table" (the imported data).

Originally I started by simply joining the STID, DIID and License
Number
from live to raw.  It took FOREVER (as in 15 or 20 minutes) to return a
data
set when the live data has ~150K records and the raw data has ~5-10K
records.  While this result set was slow, it would allow changes made
to the
live data to be seen in the result set immediately.

In search of something faster I discovered that if I ran a distinct
query on
the raw data pulling just the two ID fields and saved that as a query,
could then join THAT ID pair to the Live data table and pull a set of
"potential matches" in less than 10 seconds.  IOW, I would get all of
the
live data records that had the same state and discipline ID.  I could
then
join the raw data to that data set on the license number and have a
much
faster result set that displayed the fields in live and the matching
fields
in raw.

The end result set is fed to a form with a small subset of the fields
displayed side by side (last name raw/live, first name raw/live etc)
and
then a class would decide if the two controls displayed different data
and
change the background color of the pair of controls if they were
different
to highlight that the data differed for those fields.

All of which worked great.  The problem is that if the data in live is
changed to match raw (data coming from the state - address change for
example) the change no longer displays in the form.  Sigh.

What I discovered today is that the "non update" is caused by the
DISTINCT
query, or a similar GroupedBy query.  If I use either one of those two
methods to select the set of live "potential matches" then the
ultimate
query will NOT display the changes made in the live data.  However if I
save
that DISTINCT data (the state/disc IDs) in a table, then join the new
table
to live and raw, the resulting data set will display the changes in the
live
data table.  In both cases (using the query directly or the saved data
from
the query) the resulting data set of live/raw is non-updateable, but in
one
case (using the saved ID data) changes in the underlying tables will
be
displayed in the result set, whereas if I just use the DSTINCT (or
GROUPED
BY) query the result set will never display changes in the underlying
tables.

So something about using a distinct or groupby causes the dataset to
not
display changes.  I always knew the result sets were non-updateable but
was never aware that they wouldn't show updates either.