[AccessD] Archiving files with Winzip Command Line version

Wed Mar 9 15:51:49 CST 2005

	"Needless to say, a given zip file may contain hundreds of large
files by
	the end of the day, and the overhead of un-zipping and re-zipping
each
	time I want to add a file would bring the rest of the system to its
	knees.  The system has been functioning very well for the last six
	months, but yesterday a brief outage on the server that holds the
	archives illustrated the risk of not validating the successful
	completion of the zip stage.  (All other destructive actions are
	deferred until the safety of the data has been verified.)
"
I believe that when you ask Winzip to 'add' files to an existing zip file is
that it actually extracts all the existing files to a temporary folder, then
it zips them all back up, including the additional files. That's when you
see the 'Copying Zip File" message.  So you really don't have any
performance hit to contend with if you do this manually.

Lambert