[AccessD] 2003 "permissions" - the other part

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Sun Mar 20 16:18:43 CST 2005

A workgroup file (an MDW file) is a file that access uses for Access
security at object level.

It contain all users and passwords you would create when using Access
security.
It is always present but by default u use the administrator account with
no password so at that moment it is transparent for the user.

If your database is secured with Access Security then overwriting this
file, or joining another workgroup, or opening the database on another
computer, would block your access to that database or to certain object
depending how the security was set.

There is a bug?!, I would call it that way, in A2K3 maybe also A2K2 that
overwrites the workgroup file when it is maintained in the default
location when reinstalling/repairing. This way you lose all your users
and passwords from that file and could lock you out of any secured
database.
When using Access security the workgroup file should be place on the
fileserver (in my opinion).

But in my opinion Access security should never be used due to to the
fact that it can be easely broken by some cheap passwordfinder tool.
I can only be used to make changes or deletes somewhat more diffucult.
For example my splashscreen form and my license text in one specific
module are always protected.

There have been some thread here that explain how to protect your mdb
with access security but I dont know if somenone had proven to be
unbreakable (if such a thing exists).

To conclude.
If you don't now what access security is, and don't want to loose time,
then just forget about it.

But that's my opnion.

Erwin