[AccessD] Counting Users

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Mar 23 11:12:11 CST 2005

Rocky,

>What is the simplest way to count the number of users logged in to a back
end mdb?

Walk around to the chairs and tap the users on the head, raising a finger
for each head tapped.  If you run out of fingers, start using your toes.  Of
course if you have more than 20 users, or you are missing fingers or toes,
then you will need to have an assistant follow you around to store the
counts for the additional heads.  This works well for user counts up to
about 100 or so, whereupon the trail of assistants becomes too long to
manage effectively.  They begin stopping to chat with friends and stuff and
you lose as many as 20 user counts every time that happens.

If you find that happening, I discovered that you can buy these pet collars
attached to spring loaded reels of line.  Just hook up your counting
assistants so they can never lag too far behind.

A similar method, a bit more disruptive, is to go around tapping heads, but
instead of raising fingers, having each user join in a line behind you, thus
by the time you tap the last user's head, you will have a long line of users
which you can now just go down the line drawing a little mark on a paper for
each one.  It looks something like IIII\IIII\IIII\ etc.

I hope that I have provided some ideas of how to do user counts.  Even if
you don't use my methods, perhaps I have sparked some ideas that you will
find effective.

Good luck in your counting, and please don't hesitate to ask further
questions if you didn't understand any of the above.

Respectfully,

http://folding.stanford.edu/

What is the simplest way to count the number of users logged in to a back
end mdb?

MTIA

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software