[AccessD] Security & encryption (cross posted to accessd & db a-sql)

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue May 10 05:33:56 CDT 2005

On 10 May 2005 at 11:24, Roz Clarke wrote:

> Thanks Gustav
>
> What would prevent me and my crew from decrypting the data? Is the
> encryption function using an algorithm set at runtime &/or dependent on the
> password you set when encrypting? We will have access to the front end
> (since hacking Access security is so easy)...

PC1 uses a known, well tested and highly secure algorithm to
encrypt/decrypt but without the password you are SOOL trying to decrypt.

Since Gustav says " Password is maintained in global variable
strPC1Password16.", you can include a routine for the user to enter their
own password when they log in to the application.  There is no reason for
you or the notwork admins to know what the password is.  In fact each user
can use a different password ever time they enter some data and then will
only have access to the data which they encrypted with that partiular
password.

--
Stuart