[AccessD] Front End Updater

Brett Barabash BBarabash at TappeConstruction.com
Thu May 12 14:34:17 CDT 2005

Yikes!
I'm certainly glad you don't design software for Microsoft ;-)

[Automatically re-installing Windows XP...  Please wait...]

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
GregSmith at starband.net
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 2:02 PM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Front End Updater

Arthur:

Why have it check?  If the place you locate the 'most current version'
of your application will always have the newest, just have it
automatically upload a copy to the users every day once...that way they
always have the most current version and you don't have to fret over
time stamps being changed or anything else.

Greg Smith

> I know that this has been kicked around several times in the past, but

> I'd like to know the current thinking on this subject. Given N users
> on a LAN (and it might be a WAN), we want to place any updates in one
> standard place (probably using a hardcoded reference to the box and
> dir)  and then have a mechanism that checks to see if the update is
> more recent than the version locally loaded.
>
> What puzzles me about this is: given Access's habit of re-timestamping

> the ADP/MDB file upon loading, how do you compare versions to see
> which is more recent? A laptop user, for example, currently
> disconnected but going to be connected tomorrow morning, may have a
> more recent timestamp  on her file than the one on the net. How do you

> get around this problem?
>
> TIA,
> Arthur

The information in this email may contain confidential information that
is legally privileged. The information is only for the use of the intended
recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking
of any action in regard to the co
transmission is incorrect, unclear, or incomplete, please notify the sender
immediately. The authorized recipient(s) of this information is/are prohibited
from disclosing this information to any other party and is/are required to
destroy the information after its stated need has been fulfilled.

states them to be the views of Tappe Construction Co.

This footer also confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses.Scanning of this message and
addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl E-mail Filter software
in conjunction with virus detection software.