[AccessD] Global Variable

Ken Ismert KIsmert at TexasSystems.com
Mon May 16 17:46:12 CDT 2005

John,

>I would argue with that ...
>Making this a global allows functions that have no
>business setting these variables to change them.  By
>having a private variable returned by a public function,
>any function that needs the information can get it but
>cannot modify it.

I agree: this is the most 'air tight' approach.

However, I tend to relax my standards if I have favorable ground rules. For
instance, if it is all my code, I trust myself (mostly), and will probably
be less strict about globals. But, if I am working with others, or am using
code libraries from other sources, I would likely package the globals as you
suggested. I would far rather have a colleage complain about "not being able
to change the %&*#@ parameter X", than have the app fail in production
later.

-Ken