[AccessD] Global Variable

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 17 12:28:38 CDT 2005

Gustav,

Believe me, I AM my own ghost writer on many occasion.  Sometimes we just do
things because it is the right way to do things.  I have found that I can do
things by habit or I can "have to think about doing things".

One of the things I learned to do "by habit" long ago was always use a case
else.  If you expect 10 difference cases, then specify those cases, but USE
AN ELSE where you place an error message.  If it falls into the else, then
you didn't expect it and you will be notified that your code is doing
unexpected things.  To some of our esteemed associates that might seem like
wasted keystrokes, but if you are notified automatically you can save hours
of head scratching when some bizarro case buried in the bowels of your code
happens unexpectedly.

I dim my variables with a naming convention by habit.  The habit was a
little difficult to start using but after that it just fell into place and
it always happens.  I use variable scope as a programming habit.  There is
still a millisecond "thought process" to figure out the scope, or the naming
prefix, but the actual "doing of it" is automatic.

My personal opinion is that if I am going to use any convention, then the
"doing of it" has to be habit, or it is sporadic and in the end not very
useful.

http://folding.stanford.edu/