Considerate List Responses was RE: Assembler was RE: [AccessD] Global Variable

David Emme demme at pobox.com
Wed May 18 16:55:15 CDT 2005

--- On 2005-05-18 4:18 PM (-0400), Scott Marcus wrote:

>Access and VB6 are similar. I don't have VB6 available at work (I do at
>home). We are using .Net now.

Not to specifically pick on the above List member (I got any number of
these today from various Listers), but it's as good an example as any of
several others...

The above quoted text was the complete response of Mr. Marcus. The message
he sent with the 3-sentence response was 26617 (26K) bytes long. It
included (apparently) the complete text of numerous previous messages,
including 20(!) copies of the footer:

as well as numerous copies of someone's boilerplate beginning

>NOTICE:  This electronic mail transmission is for the use of the named
>individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information
>that is privileged or confidential.

and going on for 2 paragraphs.

There is at least one person on this list (your friendly author) who is on
a slow (28K; rural phone line) dialup and would really consider it a favor
if he didn't have to download 8 messages of 24K+ from this List in a
single day (as I did today), all of which were basically as described
above. Could we please take a little time to trim our responses?

(I won't even start on top-posting  :-)

Thanks for your consideration,
-Dave