Integers vs. Long Integers Was: RE: [AccessD] Global Variable

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 19 08:40:02 CDT 2005

Look up octal.  The registers on all the Sperry Univac machines that I
learned in the Navy had little neon lights behind plastic buttons with
springs in them with switches in them.  Thus each button displayed the value
of a bit and the button could be pressed to set the bit when hand
programming them.  The registers were "grouped" into 3 bits, each group
represented an octal "digit" (which I quote since digit is specifically
decimal).  The entire machine, and all of its instructions were documented
in octal.  You could build word lengths of any multiple of octal "digits".
The digital trainers in the 'C' school that I attended used a 15 bit
machine.  The first mini I worked on (Univac 1218 I believe was 18 bits, 6
octal "digits", and the Univac 642 a/b were 36 bits.  All of them however
were just multiples of octal "digits".

That in no way means that something based around 9 bits didn't exist, but I
would guess if you looked behind the curtains, they were all based on Octal,
which comes out of the 40s and 50s.  It wasn't until I got out of the Navy
that I discovered Hex, based on groups of 4 digits.  I suppose that machines
might have been built based on 9 bits (having nothing to do with octal) for
some specialty purpose.  There's a LOT of strange stuff out there.

http://folding.stanford.edu/