[AccessD] Avoiding Duplicates on a Report

Darsant Silverstring darsant at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:40:41 CDT 2005

On 5/19/05, Gowey Mike W <Mike.W.Gowey at doc.state.or.us> wrote:

> What do you mean by normalized?  The customer has the ability to
> purchase up to 6 products on one invoice.  The table assigns the invoice
> number and than records the products selected in the fields Product1
> thru Product6.  The customer# is pulled from the customer table.
>
> Mike Gowey  MCDST, A+, LME, NET+
> Team Leader - East Region
> Information Systems Unit

In a normalized database, if the customer purcahses 6 products, there
would be a sub-table such as InvoiceDetails, where you would have the
InvoiceID and then a seperate record for each product purchased.

One of the problems with doing it as a field on the invoice is you end
up with hard limits (using a subtable, the user could in theory,
purchase as many or as few products as they want). There's many other
reasons for normalization but I think that's left for another day.

However, to the problem at hand, since the data is not normalized best
bet would be to fake it and concatenated the fields as suggested
earlier.
--
Darsant Silverstring

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein