[AccessD] planning

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Sun May 22 09:44:47 CDT 2005

Actually it gets a bit messy when you get down to the details.  I know
because I had to do this for my manufacturing app.

First, you need to define the work centers - give them a capacity in minutes
per day.  You may also want to have a calendar of downtime days where your
capacity is zero. You may also want to enter their wage and burden rates so
that, in addition to calculating capacity, you can calculate costs - both of
products and of the proposed production schedule.

Then you need to have a table of routings - the steps through which a
manufactured item goes, from one work center to another.  Routings have to
include queue time, setup time and unit run time which needs to be 3 or 4
decimal places because when you get into something like plastic injection
molding the unit run times are very short.

Then you need a table of demands - part number, order number, desired finish
date, desired start date, and quantity.

>From those inputs you can begin to calculate each day how many minutes of
each work center's capacity is being utilized.  You also have to decide
whether to use finite or infinite capacity planning.  In finite capacity
planning the finish dates are moved around based on the capacity constraint.
You can't load a work center over 100% capacity.  In infinite capacity, the
reports show where the work center is overloaded  but doesn't move the dates
around on you.

Finally, you need a way to present the results in a way that's usable.  I
settled on two formats - one tabular - like a work center dispatch report -
showing all the work that is flowing through a specific work center for a
given date window, and the other graphic - showing on a scale of 0 to 200%
what the utilization of each work center is day by day.  So it's easy for
the user to eyeball and find the over and under utilization.

HTH

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software
http://www.e-z-mrp.com