[AccessD] Transactions around huge transformations

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Wed Nov 16 09:49:06 CST 2005

I am still working on the data migration (transform) application for a
specific client.  The transform consists of archiving a bunch of tables (20
or so), deleting all records in these tables, then appending new data in.
What I am wondering is whether transactions can be used to wrap this large a
sequence of operations to cause a rollback in the event anything goes wrong.

I am also wondering whether I even want to do so since the failure may be
related to the instantaneous state of some table which would be trashed if
that table got rolled back.  IOW, how can I see what went wrong if I roll
back all the changes?

So, does anyone have any experience in wrapping dozens of operations in a
single transaction?

http://folding.stanford.edu/