[AccessD] Back End Updater modifications

Fred Hooper fahooper at trapo.com
Fri Nov 18 20:16:39 CST 2005

I've been using this intensively for the past few months and I'd like to
thank the writers for their fine program; it's saved me many hours of work.

While I think I've read references here to other versions, I've only found
Version 1 so perhaps the items below are redundant with newer versions.

While using the Back End Updater I've needed to make a few changes and
extensions and I'm hoping that there's a process for checking them and
making them available to others; e.g. a new version.

The changes/extensions are:

(1)  Dropped tables - When used with older back ends where the tables still
existed in the back end, the updater couldn't use those dropped tables, for
instance in SQL statements for earlier updates. I added code that checked
for tables to be dropped and added links if the tables existed at the start
of the updating process.

(2)  SQL statements - 255 characters wasn't enough so I added some fields &
code to bring it up to 1020 characters.

(3)  Connection strings to back end - These are different for A2000; I
modified them so they work for A97 - A2003.

(4)  Password-protected back ends - I've put one on the back end to keep
browsers out (the password is the app's name, so it's not serious). However,
I needed to modify the code to support it.

(5)  Changing field types - I found some code on the internet
(http://aislebyaisle.com/access/vba_backend_code.htm) that supported this.
With minor changes I've made it work for me. I'm hopeful that the author,
Allen Beechick, will make it available to us (although I haven't contacted
him).

(6)  Running code - Some changes just *needed* code. Rather than writing
such code outside the BE Updater, I extended it to running a function as one
of the main options.

Fred Hooper