[AccessD] ShellExecute to send short e-mail via non-MS email clients...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Thu Nov 3 08:33:42 CST 2005

> Works with Eudora.
> Works fine for me with Pegasus Mail.
> Works for me with Groupwise as well.
> Works for Outlook
> Works for Outlook Express
Thank you everybody!
Obviously it works with any default e-mail client on MS Windows.

> How it works under MS Windows "hoods" is described here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/mind/0199/cutting/cutting0199.asp

For me this means there is protocol all the e-mail clients follow.
And under MS Windows mshtml.dll seems to be the program, which is calling
default mail clients - the question is how it does that?

Is that as simple as

<default e-mail client executabel fullpath> /mailurl:<mailto protocol
compliant parameters> ?

I.e. for Outlook Express in generic form it should look like:

"%Outlook Express Folder%MSIMN.EXE"
/mailurl:mailto:%t?cc=%c&bcc=%b&subject=%s&body=%m

But it doesn't work when I try to use real parameters. It works only for the
first parameter (To) - the tail parameters are getting lost...

What is the default (command line) mailto protocol all e-mail clients
follow? Or
there is a different protocol they all accept? - I cannot find it via
google....

Why so simple things are implemented so complicated way and are so badly
documented? (just a rhetoric question)

Shamil