[AccessD] ShellExecute to send short e-mail via non-MS emailclients...

stuart at lexacorp.com.pg stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Nov 3 19:25:02 CST 2005

On 4 Nov 2005 at 3:47, Shamil Salakhetdinov wrote:

> > MAPI is much richer, there are lots of things you can do with your own
> > direct MAPI calls
> Stuart,
>
> Yes, I know about MAPI, and about simple MAPI (I did write programs using it
> starting MS Access 2.0 in 1995) and I read RFC2368 etc.
> But using MAPI I can only send e-mail via Outlook Express and Outlook -
> right?

No,  MAPI is the core Messaging API which  provides a common interface for all mail
clients.  Using MAPI, you will send to whatever client is configured as the default.

> Still open question: - I'm just curious and I can't find answer by myself -
> how mailto protocol's URL is interpreted by MS Windows system for non-MS
> e-mail clients? I mean:

It is interpreted by MSHTML.DLL which passes it on to the default MAPI compliant
email client whether it is MS or not.

> - does MS Windows(xxxxx.dll) starts non-MS e-mail clients and passes them a
> special command line.

No

>If yes - what format this command line should have? if
> not - what other way MS Windows system uses to activate non-ms e-mail
> clients?

It's all done through MAPI