[AccessD] ShellExecute to send short e-mail vianon-MS emailclients...

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Nov 4 00:54:18 CST 2005

On 4 Nov 2005 at 8:16, Shamil Salakhetdinov wrote:

> Stuart,
>
> I'd not argue but this question about using different e-mail clients under
> MS Windows, which IMO should have simple effective solution, looks still
> unclear here.
> Do you have a generic sample to work with any e-mail client via MAPI?

Take a look at http://www.a1vbcode.com/snippet-270.asp
Note that the Logon and Logoff are not needed for most emali clients'
Outlook is about the only time you need these functions.

> Do you know how MAPI can be used with non-MS e-mail clients ?

Yes, take a look at MAPISend on my website. It's a small application I
wrote in PowerBASIC specifically to do this.  It works fine with Pegasus
Mail, Eudora etc.

> This means that e-mail client software should support specific
> MAPI-compliant protocols - are you saying that all modern e-mail clients
> running on MS Windows are supporting this MAPI-compliant protocol?

Every decent email client that I am aware of is MAPI compliant. If they are
not, they won't be much use in Windows. Things such as Winzip's "Zip and
Email", WInRAR's "Compress and email", Acrobat's "Convert to PDF and email"
functions all  use Simple MAPI for the latter action so any non-MAPI
compliant emailer won't work with these sorts of utilities.

--
Stuart