[AccessD] ShellExecute to send short e-mail vianon-MSemailclients...

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Nov 4 17:45:35 CST 2005

On 4 Nov 2005 at 16:54, Shamil Salakhetdinov wrote:

> It would have been great but it(api_SendMail) didn't work with Outlook
> Express on my PC resulting in a message:

It's a known problem with VB Code and OE.
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315458/

<quote>
Calls to the MAPISendMail function that are made from Microsoft Visual
Basic code may fail with an error message that resembles the following:
Microsoft Outlook Either there is no default mail client or the current
mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft
Outlook and set it as the default mail client.

This problem often occurs when Microsoft Outlook Express is set as the
default mail client.

CAUSE Visual Basic programs that use Simple MAPI typically use Declare
statements that import the BMAPI functions. When Outlook Express is the
default mail client, the MAPI stub library cannot route these calls to
Outlook Express; instead, the calls fail and an error message is displayed.

RESOLUTION One way to resolve this problem is to not use Declare statements
that reference the BMAPI functions. However, because Visual Basic cannot
call the non-BMAPI functions (unless you manipulate the required structures
at the binary level), you may want to write code to call the Simple MAPI
functions from a language that can handle the structures, such a C or C++.

Two other resolutions are provided at the end of the "More Information"
section.
</quote>

--
Stuart