[AccessD] A97 BE with A2k3 FE

Bruen, Bruce Bruce.Bruen at railcorp.nsw.gov.au
Wed Nov 16 00:21:52 CST 2005

Been running a similar scenario for a year now on a test management
system that uses both an A97 (Jet 3.5) back end which is also used by a
Jet 4.0 third aprty app, and a A2k "mid end" and both an A2K and an A2k3
front end.  The only problems I have found have been forgetting where I
was and making changes to the UI in A2k3 which are not compatible with
the A2k fromt end.
Sound strange?

The back end is a UML model repository that we use to design the tests.
It's a Jet db that starts life as an A97 db and gets used by the UML
tool from http://www.sparxsystems.com.au (no relationship - highly
recommended) via Jet 4.0, when we move into test execution stage we use
a home-grown results recorder which I use on an A2k dev machine, the
test lead uses on an A2k runtime machine and every time I go home I
think of something else we could do and dev it up on A2k3.....

I have on occasion also taken the db's home and up-and-down-gradeded
them to A2k3 and back to "prev" without any ill effects.

.... Just lucky I guess  :-)

Hth
Bruce