[AccessD] OT: My web site and WebHost4Life

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 6 08:50:06 CDT 2005

I am always a little hesitant to make recommendations on something like a
web host company because whenever anything goes wrong... And things do go
wrong... They always remember who recommended...

However, I use WebHost4Life.  The reasons are really pretty simple:

I wanted to use DotNetNuke
NotNetNuke requires ASP.Net and an MSSQL database
I needed something inexpensive.
I needed it to be EASY to get DNN set up.

There are many Hosting companies providing Windows hosting, with ASP.Net
capabilities, and even with MSSQL database support.  However most of them
provide a fairly paltry amount of disk space and / or server space.
WebHost4Life provides 2 gbytes disk and 2 gbytes server (they share your
2gbytes) for $10 / month.  That is my kind of price.  And finally, it
LITERALLY took me 5 minutes to get DNN set up.  From the control panel for
the admin of the web site (me) there is a hotlink that allows you to install
DNN.  The install works exactly as advertised.

The only issue I had was that I installed DNN before my domain name pointed
there, i.e. using the "temporary" url they give you to work with your site.
Once my domain name pointed there I had a snafu getting the DNN site to work
correctly.  In the end I uninstalled and reinstalled DNN using my domain
name (www.colbyconsulting.com) and it all worked like a dream.  Given how
easy the DNN install goes and the fact that I was just playing around at
first learning how to use DNN it was a small issue, and in fact you may not
have it happen to you.

You should do your own research and come to your own decisions, but if you
decide that WebHost4Life works for you, I get something (not sure what) for
referrals so... My referral link is:
http://www.webhost4life.com/default.asp?refid=jwcolby54

You can also visit my site and look under my picture for a link to WH4L
using my referral.

Speaking of the picture, I had that pic taken when I was working on the SQL
book, and never got it in to the publisher, so my pic does not appear on the
cover.  What a shame eh?   <grin>  I decided what the heck, throw it on my
web site.  You guys can be honest and tell me if I should take it off.

I've had a lot of good comments on the site and am quite pleased with how
easy it was for me to do this stuff myself.

http://folding.stanford.edu/