[AccessD] Concatenating fields with same incident number

Jim Moss jim.moss at jlmoss.net
Wed Oct 26 19:01:42 CDT 2005

Joe,

I just went through something similar to this and what I did was build a
couple of recordsets: one to get distinct memo keys from the table and the
next recordset uses the memo key to get all rows that match. While looping
thru second recordset I stuff the notes into a variable and when the end
of that recordset is reached I write to another table with the notekey and
the variable into a memo field.

Jim

I have a table with 2 fields

Memo_Key  = ##_##   ##

Memo key is actually a text field but hay..

The first two places refer to a year.

The second two digits refer to an incident number for that year

Three spaces

The last digits refer to a line number in an additional text field

Memo_line is the matching text for that line. One incident can have multiple
memo lines.

If I do a left(Memo_key,5) I can isolate the incident numbers.

In rebuilding the database I need to get all the matching memo key items to
concatenate into a new memo field.

Any body know how I can do it?

Thanks

Joe