[AccessD] Creating a Project Plan in Access 2002

Barbara Ryan BarbaraRyan at cox.net
Thu Oct 27 08:27:27 CDT 2005

I need to create a form (ACC 2002) that will populate a "project plan" table, defined (very basically) as follows:

tblProjectPlan
PlanDate        (e.g., 03/01/05)
WorkerType    (e.g., "Plumber", "Carpenter", etc)
Quantity        (e.g., 10)

There will be an entry in tblProjectPlan for each PlanDate/WorkerType (Primary Key)
The form should be structured so each date in the project (e.g. 03/01/05 - 03/05/05) is a column and each WorkerType is a row.

                 03/01/05    03/02/05    03/03/05    03/04/05    03/05/05

Plumbers            8                7                6                6             0
Carpenters          3                3                3                3             3
Millwrights           0               0                 1                1             0

I was going to use a crosstab query, but realized that it wouldn't be updatable.  I was also thinking about creating a table with one record for each date --- the form could show the dates as columns.  The WorkerType would be a dropdown box.  Once the WorkerType was selected, quantities would be entered for each date. Would this work?

Any ideas on creating a project plan in Access 2002?  It doesn't have to look exactly like this.

Thanks,
Barb Ryan