[AccessD] DIR Command Failing-but not everywhere...

Greg Smith GregSmith at starband.net
Mon Oct 3 09:25:35 CDT 2005

Hi everyone!  Hope you all are having a GREAT day!

I've got a real puzzle here.  I'm using the Dir() command (Access 2003
module) to find if a filename exists in a specific directory, or not.  The
exact syntax is shown below.  The code is checking for a specific file in
two different directories (one exists at work, and one at the customer's),
and if it can't find that file in either location, the application warns
the user that it's not available right now and closes automatically.

The code is:

    strFileName = Dir("c:\MyData\chkfile.ozx")
    strFileNameBHC = Dir("G:\BHCRecorder\Scripts\chkfile.ozx")
    If strFileName <> "chkfile.ozx" And strFileNameBHC <> "chkfile.ozx" ...

This code works perfectly at work and at the customer's.  So, you may ask,
what's the big deal?  Well, I also work on this at home, and I just
(within the last 3 weeks) reformatted my home computer (winXP),
reinstalled everything (supposedly...), and service packed everything up
to date.

When I run this application at home, it fails on the Dir() command where
the directory doesn't exist.  Since I'm at home, for example, I don't have
a "G" drive and it fails on that one with the message "Bad Filename or
Number", and the error number is 52.

The application is identical in both places...that is, I take a copy home
and put it on my computer, relink all the tables to the BE and everything
else is the same.

Either I've not installed something correctly at home, or I've not
installed something I need to have.  Or both.  The references are all the
same and none are missing at either location.

Anyone else see this before?

TIA!!

Greg Smith