[AccessD] My new website

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 6 08:08:56 CDT 2005

Borg,

>John, having had a look at your new website and the features it
>provides 'out of the box' - has spurred me on to once again have a look
>at further developing my own website....

I am truly jazzed about DNN and what it gives me as a developer.  You can
see what it can do with no programming whatsoever, just what is built in,
and then scouting around looking for free modules.  Additionally, it
provides the .Net savvy developer (which I am not yet) the ability to build
new modules, and in particular (since I am in databases) modules that
utilize the database to build web based database applications.

DNN requires MSSQL.  I use WebHost4Life just because the price was good -
$9.99 / month with 2gb hard disk and 2gb MSSQL database (they share the same
2GB), and because at WH4L DNN was just clicking on a couple of buttons in
your control panel to get it set up.  It literally took under 5 minutes to
have the basic site up and running using DNN, which I think is just awesome.

Yes, you MUST have MSSQL in order to use DNN which does raise the cost of
the web site.  AT WH4L the cheapest site is $5 / month which includes the
ability to use ASP.Net (any .net really) but because I specifically wanted
to go with DNN I had to go with the $10 / month package which included the
MSSQL.

http://folding.stanford.edu/